The Cogels Osylei is one of the most remarkable and beautiful streets in Antwerp. The street was developed in the late 19th Century when an eastern extension was built for Berchem and Antwerp. The street counts almost 100 houses, a highly eclectic architectural ensemble. Houses with art nouveau elements stand next to houses with revival design elements such as neo-roman, neo-greek, or neo-gothic.
The houses, built between 1894 and 1908, were designed by various architects, contracted by either the construction company or the person who had himself a house built. Architects active in the area at that time include Joseph Bascourt, Jules Hofman, T. Van den Bossche, Jacques de Weerdt, and Frans Smet-Verhas
All houses are listed monuments and the street is a protected urban landscape. Only two houses have been demolished and replaced by three newer properties.
The well known house De Zonnebloem (The Sunflower) was constructed in 1900. Designed by Architect Jules Hofman, who also designed De Roos, attached some floral art nouveau style elements. Nr 52, De Tulp (The Tulip) was built as atelier by artist Eugene Joors. Archtect Jules Hofman combined floral art nouveau elements with cottage style elements in the design. The theme and name of the house refers to the preference Joors had for floral paintings. Nr 54, Het Klaverblad (Cloverleaf) was designed by Architect Daniel Rosseels in a pronounced neo Flemish-Renaissance style.